Kaplica Świętej Anny w kościele pobernardyńskim koło Przyrowa. Program ideowy wystroju
MetadataShow full item record
CHAPEL OF ST. ANNE IN THE POST-BERNARDINE CHURCH NEAR PRZYRÓW. CONCEPTUAL PROGRAMME OF THE INTERIOR DESIGN. The architecture, artistic and conceptual program of the sanctuary near Przyrów were determined by the cult of St. Anne. The Bernardine church, donated in 1609, was built as frame for the miraculous figure and relics. The rich iconographical program of the north chapel, where the sculpture was located, was inspired by biblical exegesis as well as by the Christian tradition and the Biblical Apocrypha (the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, the Protoevangelium of James). Moreover, the religious motifs represented the Counter-Reformation philosophy. The important sign of these tendencies was altar with vera effigies – the foundation of the province governor of Łęczyca, Tomasz Sołtyk. That masterpiece presents architectural forms and inscriptions connected with the donator. Figures of saints in altar retable might be interpreted in the theological context of the sanctuary. The role of St. Anne in Jesus’ childhood was confirmed by Biblical apocryphal scenes in the cupola. The dome was adorned with frescoes – representative for the quadri riportati convention and “three-dimensional painting” – and stucco works. Deep meaning of this decoration is presented in the last part of the article. The paper discusses conceptual program of the interior design in reference to the Litany of St. Anne, the great work of the Council of Trent, theological and artistic context of baroque art.
- Artykuły naukowe