Plany Łodzi sprzed 1945 roku w zbiorach Biblioteki Uniwersytetu Łódzkiego
MetadataShow full item record
Since it was founded in 1945, the Library of the University of Lodz (BUL) has been collecting, apart from other prints, also maps and atlases. The library’s special concern is to add to the collection maps and plans connected with Lodz and its region. Among which a significant position is taken by the old maps of Lodz, being a fruitful source of knowledge of the city’s past. There are over 40 plans of Lodz in BUL’s cartographic collection published before 1945. They are mostly Polish, Russian and German cartographic documents printed from the end of the 19th century. The oldest map in the collection, dates to 1853, was included in the first monograph of the city, written by Oskar Flatt. However, the oldest cartographic manu-script is the map from 1868, made by Jan Bojankowski, the urban planner. The most numerous in the collection are city maps published in the Interbellum, among which are Lodz manufac-turers cadastral maps: Karol’s Scheibler, Ludwik’s Grohman and Karol’s Buhle. During the Second World War, Lodz has been a part of the German Reich. The occu-pants broadened the city limits and changed its name into Litzmannstadt. It was shown on six maps from that time. Most of them appeared under the imprint of Verlag Buchhandlung S. Seipelt and Druckerei der Litzmannstädter Zetinug in Lodz along with the indexes of street names’.
- Artykuły naukowe